Sunday, November 23, 2008

Interesting things on the freeway

On my regular drive a few days ago, I passed some odd-looking cargo.  Traveling the opposite way on the freeway there was a 18-wheel semi truck whose trailer was even longer than normal.  It was long enough that it had needed special permission and a chase car to be on the freeway.  On the trailer was what looked like a single, very big  propeller.  My first thought was that it was for a huge airplane, but I realized that was silly.  The plane would have to be enormous and now we make them jet powered.   In a few miles another went by.  It dawned on me that they were likely heading for a wind farm.  They were pieces of those very tall wind turbines.  Like the Space Shuttle, they look lots bigger when close by!

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

fun experience, we just passed hundreds of wind turbines on the mesas of western texas-amazing sight

Rambling Woods said...

We have a windmill farm along Lake Erie with those huge things...

New Rambling Woods Site

wispy willow said...

Have you noticed how itsy bitsy a full sized truck looks parked at the foot of one of those monsters?
They look like MatchBox cars.

Kay said...

I've seen them too and was shocked at how large they were. I hope this country will move toward more alternative energy.

Mare said...

I haven't really been up close to a windmill. It definitely would've captured my attention, too!

storyteller said...

I've had the same thought when I've stood in a Wind Mill Farm and looked up. Pretty amazing technology ;--)
Hugs and blessings,