Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thermostat adjustments

Does everyone's thermostat need adjustment as the seasons change, or just mine?  Why is 65 degrees lovely and balmy in January, but cool and uncomfortable in July?  Because of how we are acclimatized?  Doesn't it seem logical that a home temperature would be the same year round?  Logical, yes, realistic, not so much.

My hubby and I do have to make some compromises about temperature because while he is perfectly happy in a t-shirt at 55 degrees, I'm wearing two layers and maybe a jacket.  When it gets above 80, I can finally wear one short sleeved shirt, but he is sweating and overheating.  In our house we try to meet in the middle with fans to move air and throws handy.

Speaking of the middle, why is it that in order to be comfortable in the summer, my home thermostat needs to be set higher than it does to be comfy in the winter?  This conundrum is one I've noticed for years.   I like my house temp set at 77 or 78 in summer, but I'm happy with 73 in the winter.  It seems that blowing cold air is waaay cooler than blowing warm air is toasty--at least to me.





4 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

we have the same problem. 72 degrees in winter and 78 in summer but there's a few days of the body adjusting where you have to put on layers or take them off as the body acclimatizes.

Rambling Woods said...

Ours is set at 67 during the winter. Maybe that's why the cats give me a look that says, "I'm freezing"

New Rambling Woods Site

storyteller said...

Yup … temperature IS a ‘relative’ thing. I suspect it has something to do with the ‘differentials’ … but I’m no scientist. As a general rule, I’d rather temperatures be on the coolish side rather than too warm. It’s easy to put on a jacket or slippers … but when it’s hot … it’s hot!
Hugs and blessings,

Teacher Mama said...

Here here! We have the same temperature problems at our house. I like to heat up rice bags and sleep with them by my feet.