Monday, June 1, 2009

Congratulations!

Saturday, I cheered at a graduation.  My brother's daughter graduated with her Bachelor of Science Degree as a Registered Nurse.  I was particularly proud because hubby and I were allowed to share her a bit as temporary surrogate parents for three of those years.  Never having had daughters, it was fun to have her (and her younger sister for a while) in the house during the week.

When she was accepted into the nursing program before her junior year, the advisor told her she would have to choose: nursing or basketball--it was not possible to do both.  Since the basketball scholarship was what made it possible for her to attend this private college, and she was determined to become a nurse, she was not deterred.  Maybe everyone could use a slice of her optimism.  Her basketball team made it to the second round of the NAIA national finals, she finished her nursing degree, and--in addition--she got married midyear when she found 4 free days.
She is a terrific girl and we are nearly as proud of her as her parents are.

6 comments:

Jean said...

Congratulations to your niece! We need good nurses, just as we need good teachers.

And your new camera...I have a nice digital, but I'd like something that is less bulky. Your camera looks like what I have in mind. Keep us posted on how you like it, please.

Great Grandma Lin said...

ambitious young lady. good for her.

Kay said...

Congratulations to all of you! What a proud time this is. She is truly an amazing young woman and will make a fabulous nurse.

The Tripp's said...

Aunt Jo, this was so sweet of you to say. I really appreciate all of your support. I could not have done it without you and Randy. I will never be able to say thank you enough!

wispy willow said...

She sounds unstopable! I offer my congrats to her ... and to you. She sounds like the type of gal we should find a way to clone. I need three of her for my sons.

I hope now that she's graduated she can take some more honeymoon time with her hubby. Four days? That's cramming too much excitement and too many emotions into too short a period of time.

Mare said...

What an inspirational occasion! We need more people like your niece.