Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It's that time of year again

My father-in-law asked for some pictures when his garden started growing. I took this first picture a month ago. My mother-in-law was skeptical about getting it all planted before the end of May, because often they have a freeze before mid-June. But, he was optimistic and eager to get it going, so he took the chance.
The reason it looked so weed-free and healthy is shown in the above picture: dedication.

This was the way it looked on Sunday. He was disgusted with the wind blowing because it was drying things out too quickly.
It is too big to get in one picture, so I snapped from a couple of angles. The corn rows are separated by rows of potatoes. The corn was planted at slightly different times to try and keep it from all being ready at the same time. Sometimes it doesn't work.
There are rows of tomatoes, carrots, radishes (won't be good for much longer), beans, onions, peas, cucumbers, squash, Swiss chard, beets, cabbage, and other good stuff. What you won't see are weeds.

He will turn 82 while we are on our cruise next week. We think his beloved garden is what keeps him young.

8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

what a delightful garden and I'm sure it keeps your dad going. My hubby is having garden withdrawal as we live in the small area and it's too hot to garden. That's why we are looking for a summer place in no. idaho where land is cheaper and the weather is cooler all year.

Sharon said...

He has a lovely garden! Good pictures.

Smittie said...

I'm at a loss for words. Goodness - Wholesome- Delicious-Healthy-Envy-Gorgeous- Solid Work Ethic... A few that come to mind.

Sigh. :)

Amanda said...

Wow, that is some garden! It's huge. I though my new vegetable patch was big but it's tiny compared with that. How does he manage to keep on top of it. That looks like an awful lot of produce, do they keep all of it or do they have to part with some?

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Amanda, fortunately for us, he shares his bounty eagerly. I think that is another thing he loves to do. I'm not sure how we've managed to convince him to take a week off to cruise to Alaska. Hubby's brother will have to watch over the garden (he lives next door), and he'll do his best to maintain the quality standards.

Jo said...

Amazing, absolutely amazing. I'd be ashamed to live next door with the paucity of my garden compared to his.

Kay said...

This is huuuuge! What a fabulous garden! He'll have enough veggies to share with the whole town! He could even sell some at the farmer's markets. wow!

Teacher Mama said...

Whoa! I'm planting my first garden this year. I'm obviously a beginner. I'm trying to manage a garden that is about 1,000 square feet, and struggling. This post has inspired me. Will you do a post of critial gardening tips after your cruise? Pick his brain on the trip.