Friday, June 12, 2009

Living brings trials..

I haven't posted for a week because thoughts have been difficult to pull together. I am very worried about the direction of our country. I'm afraid my children (and grandchildren) are going to have a big price to pay for the enormous and growing government debt. (A post by itself.)

I am concerned about the level of education and intelligence of our population. Did you ever watch "Jaywalking" on Leno, or listen to the mangling of our language on television and radio? Does it concern anyone else that young people know more about Britney Spears and Kobe Bryant than Abraham Lincoln , Ben Franklin, or today's leaders? (Another post.)

Finally, our own family has had its own stresses including a younger sister-in-law who just suffered a massive stroke. We're all saying prayers for her.

One a fun note, I'm traveling tomorrow to watch four of my fabulous grandchildren while my son and his wife move to their new house. In reality, I'll mostly be trying to contain and entertain the 3-year-old (nicknamed Tornado). I don't think I'll take my laptop because I'm not sure when their Internet connection will be switched, and I doubt I'll have much time to spend on it anyway.

Hopefully, by the time I get back home, my sis-in-law will be improving, and family struggles will be subsiding. Then watch out, because I'm likely to get prolific and opinionated. Wait, I'm already opinionated. Aren't we all?

10 comments:

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dellgirl said...

Hi, Jo. I am so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law, I will keep you all in my prayers.

Have a safe trip.

wispy willow said...

I am also saddened by the news that your sister-in-law is struggling. I add my best wishes for her speedy recovery!

I, for one, will look forward to your upcoming "prolific and opinionated" post. I certainly share in your concerns...they're bordering on fear actually.

Smittie said...

I'm so sorry about your sister-in-law. I hope she is doing well, and I hope you are having a lovely time with your grandkids.

I'm looking forward to your upcoming posts!

Kay said...

I love your opinions, Jo. We may not always agree but that's good. We shouldn't only listen or read things we agree with.

I'm so sorry for the stresses you're undergoing right now. I hope your sister-in-law will heal very quickly. I shall keep her in my prayers.

Have a terrific time with your grandchildren. They are the best tonic for anything. Hmmmm.... Tornado?

Rambling Woods said...

Yes..I am concerned about the country but I do like President Obama and his programs...Enjoy your grandchildren and I will keep your SIL in my thoughts..Thank you for your support of my recent family issues..

Jo said...

I do hope you come back (tomorrow, tuesday??) to find your SIL much improved.

I've taken enough Facebook quizzes to cringe at the education (or lack thereof) of some people out there. Some of my 5th graders can do better than those adults - - and the 5th graders aren't above average!!

While visiting my Dr. last week for a routine check, we discussed healthcare at length (I think he was very late to his next patient). We both agreed that until they can find a way to cut back on the cost of it all, there are going to be big problems - - but you said in another post, so I'll climb down from the soapbox and wait for that one.

Teacher Mama said...

Today in church I was sitting in a room mostly full of retired people. The person teaching the class asked who was worried about the global economy. Many people chimed in with their various concerns. In my mind, I thought about the irony. Most of the people who were concerned won't even be around to see the problems that are certain to come. I'm very concerned for my generation.

Mare said...

Well, I agree with everyone. And in reference to education and the intelligence of the next generation...how do we get a movement started for parents to 'Be a Parent' by:
1. Get the kids in bed for a good night's sleep.
2. Limit electronic activity a bit more.
3. Feed the kids healthier foods.
We do our kids no favors by being their friend first, and letting them be in charge. I think we are on the same page. I look forward to your political posts.

Sharon said...

Jo, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. I'll her to my prayer list.

You have pointed out a couple of really disturbing points. The government itself is too big and growing bigger as is its debt. As far as "the level of education and intelligence of our population" goes, I think you are right to be concerned.