Saturday, May 16, 2009

Newspaper Corrections silliness

Just a quick thought before I go to exercise this morning: I need some language help again.  I've posted before about the strangeness of newspaper corrections, and I'm still confused.

My newspaper printed a couple of corrections today because a man accused of a crime was "incorrectly identified" in the paper yesterday.  Does that mean the wrong man was identified yesterday?  The picture is the same.  Shouldn't he have been identified yesterday?  Was the middle name they used yesterday not his?  

Even more confusing: a city was "misidentified."  Just how does that happen?  Is the city in the correction accurately identified?  Was a different city in the paper before?  Did someone spell something wrong?  

I hope my city isn't misidentified, unless it's for something bad, then maybe it is okay, but what if it is incorrectly identified?  Is that different?  Is it better to be incorrectly identified or misidentified?  I'm so baffled.

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

we laugh over the same newspaper. one article said officers averted traffic...it should be diverted. My hubby picks up on all their errors. he should proof read for them...

Mare said...

The language as we knew it...is fading away...soon to be barely recognizable. Who'd a thunk??

Kay said...

Gracious! Now I'm confused, too.

Sharon said...

For a moment there I thought you were talking about my hometown "news"paper. Thanks for the chuckle!

Amanda said...

Aargh! Misidentified isn't even a word!

Anonymous said...

This stuff drives my husband nuts...