Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A new collection of vanity plates

I had 13 recordings on my phone of new personalized license plates I've seen.  I'm not sure why they are also called vanity plates, although there are a few that lend themselves to that way of thinking:  A silver sedan was BUILDT; a black BMW coupe was SO SEXY; and a big, black Sierra truck was NICE HUH.  But there is the difficulty of whether the plate is referring to the vehicle or its owner.  The occupants are much harder to read.

Then, on the other hand: a big, red Dodge truck was OLD DUDE, but the old dude's wife was driving.  And I wasn't sure about the charcoal-gray Dodge truck that was DIRT DR.  Can just anyone be a soil physician?  Exactly what does that entail?  Is there much study involved?

Some plates convey an attitude like the white Honda sedan that said HOME (too much time in the car?), or the PT Cruiser convertible that was COZZEE.  Another PT Cruiser (black this time) was TUMCHFN, and a pretty blue Jaguar was LOCAL (but I don't remember whether or not it was a Utah plate).  Maybe the Jag is comfortable anywhere.  I'm guessing a Jaguar owner can afford to be.  

Somewhere I saw ITHAPNS.  I made the recording standing outside in the wind and I couldn't tell what I said the vehicle was.  It would have been very clever on an older car with dents and paint problems.  BUBBSY was on a red coupe, and I am assuming that it was an endearing nickname; a gray Honda said ANT HIL.  That could mean a lovely aunt named Hilary or Hilda, or a home for 6-legged insects--maybe both.

My favorite, though, was on a cute yellow convertible Thunderbird.  It's a favorite quote from a movie my family has watched multiple times: ASUWISH.

Until next time...

7 comments:

Kay said...

As I recall, my neighbor's tiny red Miata's plates was JAKS TOY.

Great Grandma Lin said...

a way of making a statement...

Sharon said...

These are cute. I have a hard time making out some of those kinds of plates.

Are you enjoying Fool Moon? Hope so!!

I got my Kindle yesterday!

Mare said...

Interesting, what does ITHAPNS translate to?

Jo said...

I am so very not fun because I can't help but think vanity plates are a waste of money. I don't know why I'm odd that way, there are plenty of things I'm willing to waste money on.

I do have some friends that would totally love that last yellow tbird

wispy willow said...

I love vanity plates. They always seem to offer a "Wha??" or a "tee hee" moment.

I'm wondering if the dirt dr. wasn't a vacuum cleaner salesman. ha ha ha ha ahhhhh ha haha

I am fully aware of the lack of space for the sh that made "ithapns" necessary... and am most appreciative to whichever God on Mt. Olympus I have to thank for that.

This was fun.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I think people choose that kind of plate for a number of reasons, but the most logical to me is the ease of remembering. We have three vehicles and while I know the license numbers, hubby makes no effort to remember them. It's like phone numbers 1-800-COMCAST is easier to remember than 1-800-2662278. You have to list your plate when checking into motels, and what if your car is stolen?

Mare and Caryn, I wasn't sure if ITHAPNS was IT HAPPENS or **IT HAPPENS. Some plates are a bit mysterious. Do you know yours?