Friday, February 15, 2008

Reasons to teach

I was in a small city airport last night and a young woman was watching me.  She approached because she recognized me, although my name had slipped her mind.  She introduced herself and I immediately remembered her.  She was a student I had in 5th grade some 20+ years ago.

I admit that I won't remember all my former students by name, not right away, but I did remember her.  She was smart, funny, and mature for her years.  I had her younger sister too, and have visited with her mother a couple of times while attending the Shakespeare Festival (she is a docent there).

That late night airport hug from a girl I haven't seen for two decades, who reminded me that I have always been her favorite teacher, is the best reason for a career in education.  

It was also nice to realize that while she has certainly grown up and changed, she still recognized me, new wrinkles and all.

No comments: