Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Faulty memory

I know that in the past several days I've heard a number of things that set my jaw clenching:  words used in annoyingly odd ways, convoluted sentences, and invented word forms.  The trouble is, I can't remember what they were.  I've got to figure out a way to keep track or I won't have enough to blog about. 

I've considered carrying a small notebook (like police detectives on television do) to write things down. But, would I always have it with me?  I wonder if a small recorder would be better?  I could mention the thoughts that occur to me.  But again, would I have it with me?  I think I can leave messages on my cell phone; maybe that will work.  It is nearly always with me, except--according to my husband--when he's trying to call me.  

My memory has become so full of life stuff, it doesn't always let me remember things at the proper times.  I once heard memory described as a giant file room.  Everything is in there, but rather than being organized in orderly, chronological, or alphabetical order, the files are strewn about haphazardly.  That sounds reasonable to me.  That's why the word or name I was searching for yesterday will probably turn up tonight or tomorrow or sometime next week...

No comments: