Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Home Schooled get to play sports?

Some Utah Legislators have lost their minds.  There is a bill which would allow students who are home schooled to play sports with the public school teams.  There was an actual quote about how parents can always be trusted to know whether or not their children should be eligible.  Pleeeaase!

How about the parent who pulls their children out of school to "home school" when they get in trouble?  Then puts them back--even farther behind--when they annoy her.

How about the parent who told me that if her child wasn't doing well it was because the curriculum was too difficult and needed to be changed?

How about the parent who says that her child cannot be held responsible for things he says or does when he's angry?

Too many parents are frightened of being parents and making their darlings upset. This bill has the makings of a real disaster--just ask a few teachers.

1 comment:

Teacher Mama said...

I wonder if paragraph 5 refers to one of my favorite students and his mother? If not, I had a parent tell me exactly the same thing. It was one of the most shocking moments of my career! -Lisa