Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Golf Lessons

This afternoon I'm heading for my first golf lesson. I'm trying not to give in to natural trepidation about learning a new physical skill, but it's a bit scary.

When I was in school (I used to tell students that it was just after the dinosaurs had died off), there were NO competitive sports for girls: no basketball, no softball, no volleyball, no swimming, no track and field, no golf. Drill team was the closest and it was far less physically challenging than the things high school groups do now. Therefore I will never know if I could have been good at any of them. Now, I throw like a girl (a small one), I can sometimes hit a softball (not to the outfield), and I'm not a confident swimmer (I blame that on contact lenses).

However, some lovely ladies/neighbors occasionally play and they invited me to join them. Why not? They seem to do it more for fun and companionship than competition, and I have the time now. I am planning on a 4-lesson plan and I have no illusions about being a terrific golfer at this stage, but it want to be able to hit the ball so it goes generally forward.

I'll let you know how things go.

5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

well it's perfect weather now but will be getting too hot soon. enjoy!

Jean said...

My high school had a girls' basketball team, but I was too chicken to get involved in a team sport. I think golf would be a good sport, though. Herds of girls won't be running at you as if to annihilate you. Have fun.

Mare said...

Good for you!! Give it a shot [pun intended!]. I have done some 'real golfing' as my son used to call it. I was amazed at how many times I would swing at the ball, look to see where it went, and it hadn't left the tee!! I believe that is called a'whif'[?]
Have fun.

Teacher Mama said...

This sounds like an exciting adventure! I have personally never golfed. I think it sounds much more scary than basketball, volleyball, softball, track, or any of the other aforementioned sports. I would be afraid to miss the ball over and over again. Good luck!

Basil said...

Getting a good golf lesson is important if you want to get good at golfing. Most of the people will not know anything when they first start out. But golf lessons teach them all the information that they might need about the game.