Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Commercials are killing me...

Commercials are so killing me. "How do you Sizzler?" "Do you Kohl's?" "To be incredible, eat incredible."

I guess now that we've given up on adverbs, we can use proper nouns however we choose.

Apparently I Toyota while hubby GMCs. I Apple, he Lenovos. Oh, yesterday my mother, sister and I Red Lobstered.

It does eliminate the need for verbs.

I don't know about others, but these changes in our language are awfully tough for me to take. We are losing a lot of the art of thoughtful communication.


6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

try texting with abbreviations if you think language is going...lol

Jean said...

I hear you, sister! I get a charge out of nouns used as verbs, and adverbs (poor things) are really suffering now. You might want to take a look at my blog post of last week: http://mollysfolksdownunder.blogspot.com/2010/03/letting-awesome-go.html

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Jean,

I did. Left my "yahoo" there too.

Teacher Mama said...

It seems that "text talk" is becoming more and more acceptable as well. Even when I'm texting, I insist on writing in complete sentences with capital letters.

wispy willow said...

Not being a teacher, but more of a befuddled student, I don't suffer from quite the heartburn that some of you do... but, I still cringe often enough at the strangulation of our language and the lazy conversational efforts of so many of my neighbors. It used to bug me no end when Tom Brokaw and other news giants would tell us the latest about the HIV Virus. What? The Human Immunodeficiency Virus Virus? It's the HI VIrus or HIV. ahhh well... at least they were getting the word out, right?
I tend to let a lot of things amuse me...or slide off my back.

You make me nervous now and then. I'm afraid you'll take your red pencil to what I write. (That is when I get around to writing something) I cannot figure out commas and semi colons and the like. I must have daydreamed through that part of my education.

Mare said...

And what about pronouns? Many folks just do not know how to use them.
Her and I ...
Send it to myself...
Scary!