Thursday, February 25, 2010

Too fancy for me

I'm sure now that my palate is far from sophisticated. I enjoy the Food Network programs, and I"m always interested in how food is prepared. That said, I am not someone who would enjoy eating in all the finest restaurants.

Hubby and I went out for a special dinner, paid $125, and left wondering exactly what the fuss was about. It was one of those meals where you need to keep the menu so you can tell what is on your plate. For my entree, I had a "protein" (as the cooking shows call it) that was drab, flavorless, and overcooked. It had a blueberry reduction (I think) over it that gave it a slight bitterness. There was another creamy sauce with mushrooms (that was pretty good), and another starchy something that was quite sweet. Stuck in the garlic mashed potatoes (I recognized those) was a thickly-sliced piece of carrot, three spears of asparagus, and something dark reddish-purple (not sure, maybe a beet slice or candied apple).

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like savory and sweet at the same time. I also like things to taste like themselves, not drowned in some odd sauce. Hubby's rib eye was covered in two sauces. One I think was Gorgonzola cheese sauce (trying to remember what was described in the menu). He said it was okay, but nowhere close to the best he's eaten.

The chefs and critics on television talk a lot about 'presentation.' To heck with the pieces of red pepper along the edge of the plate. And I don't care if each bite doesn't have all the flavors my taste buds can detect. I want something that tastes good.

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

I'm with you. One of the best expensive dinners we had was 17 years ago on our honeymoon at Sundance up provo canyon-great food and tasty.

Sharon said...

Preach on Sister! I am with you 100% on that. I had one of those meals one time.Presentation was what it was all about. Not only was the food forgetable there wasn't much of it. But it was pretty on the center of the plate with some kind oa a sauce drizzled around the rest of the plate in a pretty pattern.

Jo said...

We always end up at a place like that when my husband's research group has its Christmas dinner. Food is twice as expensive as anywhere else, but only barely just as good as a Village Inn.

Our group of about 12 was hidden back in the corner of an empty restaurant, but by the time we left it was packed, could hardly walk through it as one of the departments of a local company was having their Christmas dinner.

I couldn't help thinking if everyone (us included) had forgone a Christmas dinner just this one year, there would have been so much money to donate to the food shelf which has been in dire need for a long time.

Jean said...

Boy, oh, boy. You said it so well. I agree completely. My sorority chose a well-known city restaurant for its annual spring banquet a few years ago. The food was tasteless, and we were convinced the restaurant had cut many corners to feed us. I'll never forget the salad dressing which was apparently little more than olive oil.

Kay said...

I do like simple foods better. My husband is always telling me I don't have a wide enough palate. Ah well, I'm a cheap date.

wispy willow said...

I'm easily fed. Give me an old fashioned plate of meatloaf and mashed potatoes (skins on) and I'm happy. Shoot! I'd rather have an In&Out Burger than a high priced rib eye most days of the week. Like you, I keep thinking of how many more beneficial things I could do with the money spent on fancy foods than swallow it.

I agree with every last word that's been said by one and all. I wonder how many people out there really, really like the food...and how many eat in those "come dressed to spend" establishments because it's another trapping of "success". just wondering...

Good thoughts