Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tattoos for everyone?

Tattoos aren't just for rebellious youngsters anymore. Sure, there are the butterflies on the shoulder, dragons on the calf, who knows what on the arms (just watch an NBA game); however, some adults are going in another direction.

I know a number of people who have, or are considering, tattoos on their faces. Mind you, these are women. Some in their 40's, some older. As you may have guessed, it's permanent makeup. The younger ones are perhaps tired of the need for daily "enhancements" to look as youthful as they feel. Maybe, like the women in movies and on television, they want to wake up looking good. It has always bugged me that women on television always have mascara and glossy lips--after sleeping, after whatever.

As we age, menopause readjusts our hair growth. We lose eyebrows and eyelashes, gain mustaches and chin hair. Getting rid of hair is easier than growing it where we want it. I can see the benefit in permanent eyebrows--I'm not crazy about how mine look right now. Mom is considering having hers done, she's only worried that they'll be in the right place. She doesn't want to have a permanent look of surprise, or lop-sidedness. It's not exactly something you can wash off.

As for me, I'm stuck with makeup. Needles and anticoagulants are not good company. It is kind of too bad; I'd like some really nice eyebrows and eye liner.

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

I agree I'll stick with makeup for now.

dellgirl said...

I'd like some really nice eyebrows and lashes too. But, the price is too high (what happens as a result of using all this new-fangled stuff). Nice post though...makes you stop and think!

Joyce's Journey said...

I hate tattoo's - any kind, any where. I know many that have them and they know how I feel. It's always fun when someone wants to share a new one. Yuck!

Great Grandma Lin said...

I tagged you yesterday on my blog. Check it out. Lin

Mare said...

They're not for me, and yet I know many people who have gotten tatoos. Since I have yoyo dieted a couple of times in the last 30 years, I'd be afraid their shape would morph into ...who knows what!!!

Jo said...

I've heard of tatooed make up but never saw the appeal. Of course the fact that I've never worn much of that kind of make-up probably colors my thoughts too.

Regardless, I get enough needles in and around my eye already, I don't need to go looking for more.