Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Holiday Decor

I actually love the holidays! That said, for at least 5 or 6 years, we haven't done any home decorations. Christmas is about children and ours weren't here anymore (whichever place we were). So we went to them.

It seemed silly to put up a tree or lights when we left home days before Christmas and normally didn't come back until after the New Year. That is a busy time anyway, and it just felt like more work than fun. After flying from one coast to the other to play with grandkids, coming home to taking down decorations was too big a bother.

This year will be a bit different and hubby thought we needed a few decorative touches--weird coming from him. We are leaving on the 19th to go to Florida, but after Christmas my California kids are coming back this direction. The kids want to play in the snow and the 12-year-old has plans for a snowboarding lesson. So, we bought a couple of 4-foot topiary trees, some cute little solar-powered snowmen for the walk, and I dug out a few things from my Christmas boxes. I can't compete with neighbors who go all out, but it feels kind of nice to have a little holiday inside and out. Besides, it isn't enough to be a big deal to put away.

Next year? Who knows.

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

I feel the same way as we spend the holidays with family but I did get a nice pine tree wreath at Harmons for the door and put up my nativity set so we're ready. And it didn't snow yet-hurrah!

Kay said...

It's funny that when we were in Illinois I was reluctant to keep putting up the tree when the kids already had their own places. However, they wanted to see it put up when they came to visit.

Now we're living far away and I felt like I needed to put up a tree because it made me feel closer to them and to everybody who had given us the ornaments.

Jean said...

I used to go all-out with my Christmas decorating: collections of Santas, angels, nutcrackers all over the house, several decorated small trees in addition to the big tree, etc. Now I'm getting lazy, I guess, and I've pared it down considerably. I was asking myself just this morning if I wanted to bother decorating the banister or not. The jury's still out on that one. I do enjoy seeing Christmas decorations in other people's homes, though! Have a lovely Christmas in Florida. I've never been away from Maine at Christmastime.

Teacher Mama said...

I'm not a holiday decorator. I only do Christmas, and I only have two boxes of decor. When they fill up, it is time to get rid of something. I'm enjoy simplicity far too much. I'm trying to be a little more adventurous and less simplistic now that I'm a mama. Logan appreciates the fun.

Sharon said...

Dropped by to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Jo!

Mare said...

Happy holidays to you and all of your family. I have lost that decorating feeling...no kids here. Glad yo see your post...I am a little tardy, though!!