Friday, November 13, 2009

Sneaky changes

My mother's biggest product annoyances have to do with quality and container size changes.

She says that when Dawn detergent first came out, it was much better than the competition. It made lots of suds, was very tough on grease, and only a little squirt was necessary. Since that time, however, the quality has slipped away until it is like all other dish washing products. My mom loves to cook so she speaks with some authority about dish washing.

Charmin introduced Plus bathroom tissue (that's the correct term for what used to be called toilet paper). When it first came out Mom said it was very soft and one could actually feel the lotion/aloe. Now, however, when one can actually find the Plus version of Charmin, it is nowhere near as wonderful as it once was. She even sent a hand-written letter to the company to complain.

Mom, who is an excellent cook, also decries all the sneaky changes in container sizes. She has family recipes that call for a "can" of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk--not any more, the cans are smaller. Who knows what amount to add now? Same for cans of pumpkin and pie fillings, condensed soups, and evaporated milk. I guess the people who first wrote the recipes didn't foresee that the companies would ever change their packaging. Who could have predicted that rather than raise the price of a product they would choose to instead make the container smaller? Did they think we wouldn't notice? We did, and found it extremely irritating.

9 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

bathroom tissue instead of toilet paper I like that. lol!

Jean said...

I was taught that a pound is 16 oz. Now I see, especially in coffee cans, that it's 13 oz. I like Kudos bars, but the ones now are so small I can barely find them in their paper wrapper. And mayonnaise? Don't even get me starter on mayo! Check out the concave bottom of the container, making the buyer think she/he's getting the same amount as in the past.

Mare said...

Ya just have to be on your toes...so to speak. Did you read the book, "Who moved My Cheese?"
And the phones have changed so much, and not of the quality of Ma Bell's monopoly. Lord help us!!

Kay said...

I've been noticing the same thing for product sizes. Hmmm... and now that you mention it, the Dawn doesn't quite cut that grease like it used to. I thought it was me. It is irritating that they've been changing the sizes but charging the same thing.

dellgirl said...

Your mom is so right. Many things are being "downsized" and the price keeps going up. Charmin doesn't last long enough around here for me, no matter which one I try. The other folks' (name brand)lasts forever -- but it is not as soft.

Teacher Mama said...

I heard similar complaints from my grandmother.

dellgirl said...

I came by, just to say hello and see how you’re doing, what's new, and what you're up to.

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Jo said...

I just opened a new package of Northern "bathroom tissue!!" and discovered that the new rolls aren't as wide, almost half an inch narrower than the old ones. I'd rather have a skinnier roll myself.

I miss the old grease cutting action of the original Dawn too.

Mare said...

Just wondered how you are doing!