Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Are we that gullible?

I wonder......are people really as dumb as some advertising agencies think we are?

I watch few commercials (can't do without my TiVo), but this morning I just had the television on while baking. A car dealership ad made me chuckle. If they can't beat another dealer's price by $250, they'll actually pay you $250. What do you think are the chances that they can't beat the other's deal?

My personal favorite ad is the "if we can't give you the best deal, we'll give it to you free." I heard that one today too--a mattress company. Yeah, how many $600 mattresses do you suppose they give away rather than beat some other company's price by a few dollars?

Are there some of us gullible enough to believe that if we owe more on our car than it's worth, a car dealer can "save" us by selling us a newer car? Or that we can buy a car for "$88 down and $88 a month"--listen carefully to the high-speed disclaimer that follows.

What frightens me is that the advertisers or businesses think consumers are stupid...or even worse, maybe we are.

7 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

well it must work, they have been doing it forever...

Sharon said...

It is sad to think that it works on some people. Ads on TV can make yoou want to scream.

I have a DVR that we just got a couple of months ago, and I'm really liking it!

Joyce's Journey said...

I love my Tivo!!! That being said, we all have to work . . . some of us at more reputable jobs than others.

Jean said...

The end of your post, I fear, says exactly the problem: People do buy into these outrageous ads. That's one reason why we're in the pickle we're in today.

Kay said...

We had a neighbor who moved away from us to an apartment. When my husband, Art went to check on her one day he found that she had the beginnings of Alzheimers. She had lost all the money she made from selling her home to ads she saw on TV. It was unbelievable. There are crooks out there preying on the elderly.

Sharon said...

Jo, I wanted to come by and wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Ms Opinionated said...

Hi Jo,

Wishing you and your family a splendid new year - about this piece, we don't need to ask if we are gullible, the news will confirm that we are. The Ponzi scheme is proof of that. It's a shame that some of us are influenced by too many things without making a better judgment or a safer one for that matter.

Take care
Ms. Opinionated
http://curiousgypsy.wordpress.com/