Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Garden Update




It is gorgeous again. It survived a week without my father-in-law (while he was cruising) and he will have another bumper crop. This is a shot of some of the potatoes and corn.This shows the peas, cabbages, onions, lettuce, and cucumbers and squash in the far end.
This view is carrots, beets, (you can still see the peas), with the pole beans, and two other kinds of beans at the end. Off to the picture's left are about 50 tomato plants (there may be more, I'm just guessing), and we've begun to enjoy the fresh tomatoes.
The radishes are gone, as is the Swiss Chard, and I'm sure I've missed stuff.

In addition, he has at least 8 peach trees, 3 pear trees, a plum tree, and a half dozen apple trees--most of which have fruit. It is turning into a bountiful year, and much of the work the rest of us can do is yet to come. Boy, it is worth it though!

8 comments:

Mare said...

A beautiful bounty of Mother Nature's gifts!

Great Grandma Lin said...

what a great and productive hobby for your father. He certainly is a great gardener.

Jo said...

Wow, it looks almost like a small farm. He must practically live out there in the summer to keep it looking so nice.

Caid and Alicia Evans said...

I'm jealous! It looks wonderful!! I cannot wait until Caid and I have a big yard to plant a nice yummy garden! :)

Rambling Woods said...

Holy Cow..what a fabulous garden..What great summer eating that must provide...Michelle

Teacher Mama said...

I'm struggling with carrots. I think they grow better in sandy soil, and I have clay. Will you ask the expert gardener for suggestions? By the way, my mom got a kindergarten position at Monte Vista.

dellgirl said...

Beautiful, beautiful garden. Everything is so lush and green, thankfully. Everything here is brown...ahhhh - that's Texas (at least my area here in Texas). Glad I didn't plant anything, I'd be hyper-ventilating now if I had. LOL

Have a super week!

Kay said...

Now that is a spectacular garden. Your father-in-law is a master gardener for sure. I can't get over it!!! Wow!!!