Monday, July 13, 2009

Panic on the Zuiderdam



I'm not sure how many people who occasionally read this have cruised, nor am I sure how different cruise lines handle luggage, but this experience gave a serious panic attack to a normally calm traveler--me.

We dock in Vancouver during the night. In order to make leaving the ship organized and efficient, they ask that you set your luggage outside your stateroom the night before. They have already provided color-coded tags and paperwork so your suitcases get to the correct bus or airport.

We gave thought to what we'd need to carry, packed, put the luggage in the hall, and peacefully slept our last night on the ship.

At 6:00 the next morning we woke to clean up and leave the ship. MY PANTS WERE GONE! In hubby's packing zeal, he'd taken the britches I was planning to wear. It was my fault because I hadn't made it clear to him and they weren't with the rest of my clothes, but knowing that didn't stop the helpless panic. I knew the ship's shops were not opening that morning. I called the office and was told they could not get to our luggage; it was crated for transport. If I hadn't had a shirt, I could have used my pajama top and my jacket and been okay, but no pants?! The bottoms to my pjs were short, and very pj-looking.

Then the office told me that they had a collection of left-behind clothing and I could come and look. I threw on the robe that came with our stateroom and went down three decks to the front office. There was a pair of women's capris, but they were at least 4 sizes too big and wouldn't have stayed on without a belt. There were some white stretch pants, but they were very thin like long underwear. And there was a pair of blue scrub-type pants, just a couple of sizes big, and with an elastic waist. I was saved.
With the top I had planned to wear, they actually matched, and with the top out and my jacket on, it wasn't too obvious that they were kind of baggy.
I was saved from severe embarrassment holding up oversized denim capris, and probably no one even knew what we had done. Thank goodness that some people accidentally leave clothes for those of us who send too many away. It was a rocky end to a lovely trip, but all's well that ends well.

8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

talk about serendipity at work...good resolution to an almost panic attack. When flying I always take extra change of clothes along just in case luggage is lost.

Kay said...

That is so wonderful, Jo! What a relief that must have been!

Jo said...

I'm glad I could feel like I was laughing with you and not at you as I got a little chuckle out of this one. How fortunate to find something so decent in the "left behinds". You could have been walking out of there in hot pink shorty shorts, super tight. :)

dellgirl said...

Who would have thought it?! It is a good thing they have extras for those emergencies. You were a real trooper to take it in stride the way you did.

Jean said...

Oh, my. This could have been a real predicament. It's good to know cruise ships carry a stash of left-behind clothing!

We've done a cruise to Alaska, so I've got to read more of your posts about your cruise....

wispy willow said...

This is priceless!!! It will end up being one of the most talked about and laughingly remembered part of your whole trip.
...of course, it would have been even MORE memorable with those hot pink shorty shorts ...

What a fun thing to have happen to you!

Mare said...

Thank you for the hearty laugh! I could enjoy that because it wasn't me and I figured it would have an ok ending. Very funny.

Sharon said...

YIKES!! I know you can still feel the panic but in years to come......