Wednesday, July 8, 2009

More Alaska Cruising

One of our shore excursions took us by "motor coach" into the Yukon Territory, then we rode the very scenic narrow gauge railroad back down. It was a fascinating journey, hearing about the gold rush and seeing where people actually traveled in the quest for wealth. This was one our our stops: Emerald Lake.

This strange place is call Tormented Valley because it looks unlike any other place. The guide told us they sometimes film science fiction movies using it, because it's different enough to look like another planet.
I admit that I don't remember the name of this lake (there are so many), but it was so calm that I got a beautiful reflection picture from inside the bus.
Our last shore excursion took us to this gorgeous Cirque. That is a steep-sided, half open valley where a glacier once began. We were very lucky to get a sunshiny day, but it is so difficult to get the majesty and size of everything from a 2-dimensional photo. Clicking to enlarge will help, but one truly has to be there.
We spent a day on the ship while visiting Glacier Bay. It is so cool (pun intended) to be close to these rivers of ice. I was taking the pictures from Deck 10 so you have to enlarge the picture to see some kayakers. Every so often we'd hear the cracking sound and hurry to look, but the park rangers on board told us that meant we had missed the ice falling: you could see it before you could hear it.
Those of us who had brought binoculars enjoyed watching several large brown bears wandering along the edge of the water. The biggest one had an interesting black and brown coloration.
Hubby's sister wanted to show her family how pretty the inside atrium of the ship was, so we took a few (this one with her dad and sister hiding behind). She has MS, but she got along beautifully and loved everything about the cruise--her first.
I've spoken to a number of people who have done way more cruises than we have, but I've not met anyone who didn't love the Alaskan Inside Passage. If you like magnificent scenery, it is one to try.

5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

hey, I want to go...next summer hopefully. beautiful photos-thanks for sharing the trip with us.

Mare said...

I agree. I took a cruise to Alaska in 2004. It was quite memorable!

Jo said...

My friend are always telling my to cruise, but I'm not much for sand and beaches. An Alaskan cruise would be wonderful though.

Kay said...

We have talked about doing an Alaskan cruise and you're really selling us on this idea. These photos are just terrific!

wispy willow said...

Okay... you've sold me a ticket.
I've never, never, never wanted to go on a cruise. I don't like being on water when I can't get my feet on dry land in 43 seconds or less... but, my hubby's always kinda wanted to go on one. I hear from every source that they're the best way to travel. So, maybe I'll suck it up and give it a shot. Your pictures certainly make me want to try this one!!