Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Off to California

This evening we are traveling to California to spend a few days with grandkids there.  

Some people end up with their children nearby, but we're not so fortunate.  I heard once that if you want your children to leave home, educate them.  I guess that's the mistake we made.  My mother gave me a sign that says, "We give our children two things: one is roots, the other is wings."  We seem to have done the wing part, with one son in California and one in South Carolina.  We have tickets to South Carolina in April.

I grew up living across the street from a set of grandparents; I did lots of things with them. We do the best we can now.  We make sure we travel to see them every few months.  Grandma always sends boxes of goodies before holidays.  We talk on the phone.  Last October we got everyone together in Orlando for a week so they could spend time together.  It's harder to keep everyone close, but it is so important.  

No comments: