Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Different times, different lives.

A friend, former colleague, and spitfire student made note in her blog that children don't spend enough time in meaningful conversations with adults.  She knows that I completely agree because we've talked about it before.  My childhood and that of today's children are so different as to be from parallel universes.  Okay, I guess that means that I'm old, but while I did not have as many "things," I had people (I know, the commercial).     I think that having "things" to entertain us,  separates us from others, keeps us from creating activities, and seriously limits social interaction.  Without television, mp3 players, video games, computers, or cell phones my friends and I invented things to do.  We talked, laughed, shared, made up stories, and spent lots of time outdoors.  We passed time with each other's families, grandparents, took weekend trips camping or fishing with no DVD players or iPods to separate us.  We didn't expect constant entertainment; we didn't need it.  

Kids today have many entertainment options, but they are not better off.  They have lost an awful lot and it is difficult to get back.

1 comment:

Teacher Mama said...

I'm glad there is still hope in some places in the world. Maybe our little family can ship off to Fiji where life is a little bit simpler, and children are still creative and easily engaged, respectful, and grateful. I worry for my son. Any suggestions if we decide to stick it out in the U.S.?