Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Say what?

It must be difficult for advertising agencies to come up with new ideas that will get people to pay attention to the products or companies they are working for. But from my own, admittedly critical, view, some of them are just too.....annoying. I've heard it said that hating a commercial is as good as liking it. Just as long as you pay attention. I don't think that is true for contrary folk like me. I've been known to boycott businesses whose commercials I hated. Here are some recent commercials you've probably heard:
"Do you dream in chocolate?" What does that mean? Everything is sepia-toned? It doesn't even make sense. Come to think about it, I don't ever remember any food in any of my dreams. So I suppose I don't dream in chocolate, about chocolate, with chocolate or looking at chocolate.

Makeup "feels invisible." Isn't the definition of invisible that something can't be seen? I've blogged, or Facebooked, before about feeling like I was invisible when people ignored me. (Oh no, I've just verbed another noun. It's getting to me.) Anyway, I'm not sure how makeup can feel invisible. If it is invisible, why would anyone wear it? If it has terrific qualities why not sell those points. Am I the only one who doesn't feel makeup once it's on? Do others go through their days conscious of the stuff on their faces? Maybe it's me.

A store has "more fashion, less price." This is so grammatically screwed up it doesn't even make sense. One has to assume that a person can own more fashion. Is that like more shoes? Less price is senseless (pun intended).

How about a credit card that gives you "50% more cash?" Just having the card gives one more cash? Cool, I didn't know one got cash by getting a credit card. Using my cards eventually costs me, but maybe I don't have the right one. If it's 50% more, would Oprah get multiple times what I would get because she already has way more money than I do?

I've got to stop paying attention to commercials, but then what would I have to blog about except my fabulous grandchildren? I'll keep thinking.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christopher said...

I do dream about food. I like the chocolate one. The others are ridiculous. Have you considered getting rid of your TV? We did about 3 years ago, and we haven't missed it a bit. Logan saw his first commercial at his grandparents house recently, and he was very confused at why his cartoon was being interrupted.

Great Grandma Lin said...

we always mute the commercials but they are more prevalent many times and longer than the programs we are watching. I agree with you and also with newspaper headlines.

Kay said...

Writing about your grandchildren would be wonderful, Jo.

dellgirl said...

Just checking on you. I hope all is well with you and everything is okay.I’m just visiting, saying hi and hello.