Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Signs for the obvious.

This is the longest I've gone without a new post, but I guess I've needed inspiration. Hubby was talking about a comedian whose routine was about how many stupid signs we routinely run into. Lately, I've noticed that he is right.

In the airport you'll see signs telling you that the moving sidewalks end. Good to know; one might not notice and expect the floor to carry us onward.

In Maui we came across a sign informing us that the sidewalk was ending. Within three feet, the concrete stopped and there was a sturdy fence across the end. The sign was obviously needed to keep us from walking into the fence.

After driving on a twisty, turning road for quite a while, we kept noticing signs that said "curves ahead." No kidding, this road is famous for its curves, that's why we were on it. I even bought a tee shirt that said I survived it.

How about the signs that tell you the road has no shoulder. That's something we would not know without a sign?

I know there are lots more. I'll post again when I remember what they are. In the meantime I'll ponder why we need these signs. Are people really that dumb or is it just a result of the "sue somebody" mentality that seems to be out there?



9 comments:

Mare said...

I love the signs on the doors of public buildings that say..."No dogs unless seeing eye dogs." ???

Great Grandma Lin said...

haven't seen you in blogland for a while...fun info on signs.

Kay said...

The sad thing about the U.S. is that if there isn't a sign warning you of danger (even in obvious places) and something bad happens, you could be sued.

Sharon said...

LOL! One sign I saw that I thought was funny but not the obvious kind you are talking about was this: "Serving the Community for Half A Decade."

Two other hand written signs have stuck with me over the years:

On a little rack of refrigerator magnets:
Refrigerator Magnets
(little magnets you put on your refrigerator)

Found on a gas pump here in town:
Please Pre Pay Ahead Of Time.

Kay said...

Oh yes... it's definitely the sue somebody mentality in this country. I remember my daughter coming home from spending a month in Singapore. She said she was surprised that they didn't have signs warning you that certain places were dangerous.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Kay, I had the same observation in Venice, Italy. There were no railings along the canals anywhere.

dellgirl said...

Oh, this is so funny, got me laughing over here – out loud – all by myself!! Oh, hahahaha.

I love 'stupid signs' they really crack me up!

The Tripp's said...

I love this post because the majority of Americans really do need these signs, and that is what is so sad.

Teacher Mama said...

Today at Little America I saw a sign in the outdoor parking lot that said, "Fountain Overspray. Park at Your Own Risk." No kidding.