Sunday, October 2, 2011

Gifted students need gifted teachers

Normally I defend teachers. I know that it is a tough job--way harder than an average outsider thinks it is. I've written opinion pieces for newspapers, debated with people (and parents) critical of teachers, and served as guest speaker in a few education courses in a local college.

It is also a career that I truly loved. I miss working with kids. There is nothing quite like watching a young person catch on to a difficult concept, or seeing the love of reading and books develop, or hearing someone say that you helped them understand something they never thought they could. Letters from former students thanking you for making a difference for them are worth more than gold for your heart.

However, it is much harder than it used to be. Teachers are constantly berated and criticized, blamed for things over which they had no control. Parents can be demanding and unreasonable. Government requirements and intrusion are squeezing out creativity and fun.

That said, all teachers are not good ones--especially for all students. It is unrealistic to expect a teacher with 30 students to individualize lessons in 30 different ways. Given. But, when a teacher has a class filled with mostly gifted students (tested and put there on purpose), I think the teacher should also be gifted. They know the frustrations.

Can anyone tell me the value of having a student write each of the spelling words in 8 different colors, if said student got 100% on the pretest?

Can anyone explain the value of having a parent of a second grade student (who reads comfortably at a 6th grade level) counting the number of words read in 20 minutes?

What does it benefit a talented student to spend time doing a math worksheet that contains problems he/she could do easily two years ago?

Some teachers, schools, and even school districts do a very real injustice to the capable students. They drown them with unnecessary busy work, require them to do nothing while reiterating material over and over for the struggling students, and ignore their needs for new and expanded learning.

No Child Left Behind has caused such concern about the students who need the most help, schools are seriously short-changing the gifted and talented.


5 comments:

Smittie said...

Jo - I totally agree. GT education - REAL GT education has a special place in my heart. One day I would like to be an administrator of GT causes.

Though I currently primarily work with struggling students, my first "speciality" endorsement was for GT. I'm glad to have experienced the full spectrum and advocate for both. If I every go back to the classroom, I want to go back to a GT classroom.

My interest in it was sparked by seeing the struggles of gifted siblings and nieces and nephews, seeing first-hand how their educational needs were different - and not being met.

And, for what it is worth, I don't think writing spelling words 8x in different colors is good instruction for ANY child, let alone a bright one. That is just plain poor teaching. So is counting words read in 20 minutes. Ridiculous.

dellgirl said...

Great post, Jo. I believe that if there are not enough gifted teachers, then very bright teachers should be specifically trained to teach gifted students. I'm not talking about a week of in-service workshops during the summer break, but comprehensive specialized training.

wispy willow said...

here! here! I remember when my second born son wasin school and not doing well in his classes... the principal called us in and told us what the school really needed was a class for "gifted under achievers". He said that he had several gifted students who were being lost due to boredom, and a lack of challenge. Many were completely frustgrated and discouraged with the lack of acknowledgment for their abilities and accomplishments and so had just stopped being involved.
What a shame... why is it that society seems to spend so much time and effort on those who can not or will not contribute to the betterment of the community and so little on those who would be our future leaders, researchers,and innovators. I'm all for giving additional help to those that need it... and am an advocate of such programs...but, we need to find a way to assist them without doing so to the detriment of our most talented students. I love this post, and both comments that have been left as well.

Mare said...

There is so much to say about teaching. I also really enjoyed the kids and learning and now I would be so unhappy. Last week, a kindergarten class's field trip to the local bank was cancelled because the kids had to 'stay in the building and work on improving those test scores'. And the focus has generally always been on the average and struggling. It seems that activities are so curtailed that there is no time for projects...and lesson plan are to reflect what learning standard is being addressed! I am thankful that I am not there to see all of the changes that have squelched all forms of creativity and ingenuity. Interesting post...I could go on and on and on.

Kay said...

Unfortunately I have to agree with you that not all teachers are equipped to teach the gifted. The gifted would benefit from teachers who are specially trained. Our country really needs to focus more attention on nurturing the beautiful minds of these special children.