Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Not a good trade.


I shouldn't reprint comics, I know. But sometimes they are just sooo good. Not many people are interested in reading my blog, so I think I can get away with it again.

I loved this one because it is so true. So many children now have grown up with electronic devices (my hubby calls these "glowing boxes") and they have missed the story-telling and talking that families used to do. I just heard about another study detailing how watching the fast-paced cartoons shows (they specifically mentioned Sponge Bob) have shortened toddlers' attention spans. I have noticed the difference.

I remember another comic where a smart-aleck student was relating asking his teacher what happened to Clark Kent's clothes when he left the phone booth as Superman. He said that before the teacher could formulate an answer, several students raised their hands to ask what a phone booth was. Oh, I'm getting old.

I have also watched the dip in vocabularies and reading levels. Kids today are learning too much too early about sexual things and not enough about patience, listening, and using their imaginations. I don't think it's a good trade off.

5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

I agree. I saw in the paper how teens were snapping up t shirts with this logo S L . U T representing Salt Lake and Utah but making a word I first heard in 6th grade and had no idea what it meant till I was in college. It's sad...

H said...

Agreed. We don't have television, an occassional DVD is all my children watch. No "glowing boxes" at all on school days or Sunday (which leaves only Saturday, and they are too busy on Saturday's to play them :)It is very sad how little parents actually speak to their kids. Very sad. I do relate to the army guy aspect of the cartoon, both of my son's; obsessed!

dellgirl said...

You're right about "patience, listening, and using their imaginations". I don't think it's a good trade off either. Love the post!

Have a good weekend.

Kay said...

The times they are a-changing. I have to bite my tongue sometimes as I watch my 4 year old granddaughter playing with her iPod. It makes me crazy. I really believe kids have shorter attention spans. And now they're even taking cursive out of the curriculum. Sigh...

dellgirl said...

Just popping back in to see what's new and to say hi.

Have a wonderful Sunday!