Thursday, September 8, 2011

Perceived Intelligence


I was waiting somewhere and browsing through a Reader's Digest. There was an article about the importance of a good interview when applying for a job. It mentioned there were four common grammar errors that would raise or lower your perceived intelligence.

One was the correct use of good and well: knowing when to use an adjective or an adverb.

Another was knowing the difference between less and fewer (one of my own pet peeves): fewer gallons, less fuel.

A real tricky one for most people is the pronoun agreement: "I saw him and her," "He and I went to the game," etc.

The last one was a bit of a surprise because I can think of other errors that could have made the list (incorrect use of reflexive pronouns like myself and yourself, lay and lie, sit and set), but it was the sounding of the "t" in often. The article said that some thought pronouncing the "t" made them sound knowledgeable, but the effect was just the opposite.

I think sometimes it is just laziness or carelessness, but it does give others an impression that one might want to consider.




6 comments:

Sally Wessely said...

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone even knows the rules anymore when I read the newspaper or watch the news on television. I am with you on the pet peeves that involve count and non-count nouns. I want to get out my marker and correct those signs in the grocery store.

Great Grandma Lin said...

another place is the newspaper headlines and articles...good English is a rare these days...lol!

H said...

OH, I wish the word often would just disappear. I loathe that T.

dellgirl said...

My pet peeve? You're and your. And, I agree with you on the ones you listed. Nice post.

Kay said...

I have heard people say the t in often and wondered if I was supposed to pronounce it. Having grown up in Hawaii, I'm never quite positive of anything.

DanGilbert66 said...

Hello, I have a quick question for you about your site. If you could please get back to me at your earliest convenience I would greatly appreciate it. Have a great day!

Thanks,
Dan Gilbert
Communications Coordinator
Primrose Schools