Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Glasses or hearing aids?

I have a question. Maybe others can help me understand.

When someone's eyesight changes, especially because of age, people are quick to seek help. They buy glasses, or contacts, or have surgery to restore their vision.

When someone's hearing changes, they are much more hesitant to do anything about it. I have a couple of theories. Hearing aids are much more expensive than glasses, so cost is definitely a factor. But my best theory is that people don't notice their loss at first and gradually adjust to a quieter world. Then, when they finally decide that they need help, the hearing aids restore the noise and it seems too loud. It's uncomfortable. Maybe another consideration is that we know when we can't see something, but we don't know about the things we can't hear.

When a family member and I were talking about vision and hearing loss one day, we pondered which was worse. Her pragmatic choice was hearing loss was worse, because if someone couldn't see, others would be quick to help. If someone couldn't hear, others would just find it annoying. Think about it.

I remember hearing that Helen Keller was asked a similar question. Her response was that being blind separated people from things; being deaf separated people from people.

I've been near-sighted almost forever, but I have contacts and glasses. If I should begin to lose my hearing (which is still excellent--bionic according to my hubby), I'm heading right for a hearing aid. I don't want to miss a thing.

5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

I agree hearing is probably to be missed more than sight.

Kay said...

My husband tells me I have selected hearing. I'm sure he's exagerrating. I think. I went to get my hearing tested in Illinois and they said my hearing was fine. Perhaps my husband is right.

Janie B said...

Interesting and true. I've been thinking lately that I'm turning the TV up louder than ever. Hmmm...

Sharon said...

I think you are right about the cost of hearing aids. My husband won't get one, the kind his dr. told him he needed was pretty expensive. I don't think it would help him with his listening though....LOL

lily said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.