Friday, February 25, 2011

Literally?


I love this comic. It reminds me of when I had a teenage boy around the house. I particularly enjoyed it today because I've noticed the same thing Jeremy (the teenager) did: many people misuse the word literal. It's used by "celebrities," talk-show hosts, radio commentators, and lots of others who do not truly mean "literal." I guess they are trying to make the point that what they say is important or worth remembering, but that's not the meaning of the word. English has so many words, it shouldn't be that difficult to use one that makes sense,

6 comments:

H said...

Oh my! This is such a peeve of mine. I want to literally shove the words back in their mouth-hahaha!

Sharon said...

That's a funny cartoon, literally!

Kay said...

Jeremy so reminded me of my son also. I just read this comic this morning and had to laugh.

Great Grandma Lin said...

I read this comic too and wondered literally about the usage of this word...lol!

Mare said...

I always read that comic strip because my son literally shares his name??!!

dellgirl said...

I literally wanted to LaughOutLoud. But, I'm too tired. thanks for the chuckle.