Monday, October 25, 2010

Redundancies

A newspaper article this morning stated that a robber had been wearing a "fake wig." I wondered how that is different from a regular wig. These silly redundancies are all over the place: people get "free gifts," "added bonuses," and sometimes "cash money."

Have you heard people say the "exact same" thing? Or how something happens "each and every" time? Do you make "future plans?" Can anyone make past plans? Maybe it's like a "past experience." It is so difficult to count on a future experience.

How many times have you heard people say they have a "personal opinion?" I thought opinions were always personal. You have heard others comment that their solutions were the "sum total" or the "true facts." If you pay attention, the redundancies are everywhere.

Some of the silliest are used with the prefix "pre." One can "pre-order" something not yet available (isn't that an order?), or parents with babies can often "pre-board" an airplane (don't they just get on like everyone else?).

I'm finished for a while. Maybe I'll have "temper tantrum" before I fix a "tuna fish" sandwich for lunch. I'll "postpone until later" any "final conclusions."




8 comments:

Kay said...

Gosh I never thought about this. I know I'm very much guilty of all these redundancies.

Great Grandma Lin said...

are you sure you weren't an english teacher? you'd be good!

Teacher Mama said...

Ha ha! I'm sure I say those things all of the time. Personal opinion is probably the redundancy I use most frequently. By the way, my masters program is going well. I am studying math education.

Sharon said...

LOL-how true it is! I know I say some of those things. I like to pre-pay at the gas pump. Or as a hand written sign at one local station said "Please pre-pay ahead of time." Talk about redundancy. ;)

Jean said...

Past history, advance forward, an actual fact, retreat back....

Mare said...

Your thoughts always make me smile! The one that drives me crazy is 'invaluable'...and irregardless, too.

Caid and Alicia Evans said...

HI JO! Thanks for your post on our blog! Yes, Mason does have a middle name..it is CAID. That's prob why you didn't recognize it on the blog!!
Hope you are doing great!
alicia

Joyce's Journey said...

What a great post! I'm guilty, for sure! Now I'll be paying attention to these redundancies.