Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Misleading sign

My son sent me this picture. Advertising is, by it's nature, a little misleading. This sign is an egregious example. If you can look very closely, there is minuscule writing after the cent sign. Guess what it says: "& up."

Following this idea, clothing stores could put out signs saying everything is $1 (as long as you could buy a pair of socks for a buck); furniture stores could advertise living room sets for $3 (I guess they could have a pair of candle holders or something for that price); and car dealerships could advertise cars for $100 (as long as there was one old clunker for a c-note). As long as there was a teeny, tiny "and up" on the sign it wouldn't technically be false.

I have seen this done on individual clothing racks in department stores, but not on such a grand scale. But again, this is Orlando, Florida, and I suppose tourists are gullible fair game.

5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

how true...

Kay said...

Now that is absolutely nasty. I've been suckered in by signs like those and it's aggravating.

Mare said...

I have seen many ads that were sheer trickery!

Daddy said...

This is awful. I can not believe someone would do such a thing. I am going to report this to the DSA!(That stands for Dollar Store Administration)

Daddy said...

I will not stand for this! I must report to the DSA!!!!