Friday, July 30, 2010

On my soapbox again.

Warning! I'm climbing on my grammar soapbox again; continue reading at your own risk.

Okay, at least I'm doing it here and not on my Facebook page--my young family members probably don't visit here much and it's just as well. Most of them know how I am, and I make some of them very nervous. That's alright with me, but I can see the decline in reading from people's writing.

1. A young woman, applying for a job, used the word 'youl' rather than 'you'll' or 'you will' on her application. Obviously there was no spell checking involved. Maybe it's a leftover from texting shortcuts, but I'd think one would be very careful on a resume.

2. As I visited a public restroom on my travels today, I saw where some young woman had tried to write a thoughtful message on the stall door. It was about not taking "life for granite." Admittedly, that's mostly how we say that, but I couldn't help myself, I took my pen and corrected it (the first time I've ever written on a bathroom stall).

3. I am almost numb (almost) to the frequent use of your when it should be you're; there rather than their or they're; the careless misspellings; and the confusion about where apostrophes belong.

It is so discouraging. I don't think many young people read good books anymore.

8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

I'm with you but not to the point of writing on bathroom stalls...lol!

Janie B said...

It annoys me, too. I especially get upset when someone from my school (where I teach)says "I seen" ...drives me NUTS!

Sharon said...

That your/you're thing gets me too. I've even seen it misspelled on t-shirts!I've seen adults who should know better misuse their/there. Yikes! And Janie B. I too have heard teachers at my school say "I seen." It is especially awful when the principal is in front of the entire student body and says "Mrs. H and me is......" Oh my.

The Tripp's said...

helo aunt Jo I just want to thenk yu fore all yu hav tot me with my speling wile I lived with yu. I reely apreshiate it. haha! This is just to prove to you that I am NOT scared of you correcting me, in fact I love it! Also, I love your post, it made me laugh.

Mare said...

I am with you 100%...the English language takes a real beating. "Her and I' drives me nuts!!

Jean said...

I feel your pain, believe me. One that really gets me is "Myself and Josh are getting married," or "Me and Josh are getting married." When did "myself" and "me" become subjective rather than objective?

Oh, and add "feel badly" to my list of gripes.

Teacher Mama said...

I am working at WGU in the Teachers College. Sometimes I have to remind my adult students that email is not text messaging. Sad that adults need reminders for capitals and periods.

Kay said...

It's either that or they haven't been taught very well. I am surprised at times at how often those mistakes occur.