Monday, August 23, 2010

Our changing language

Sometimes I wonder if our changing Americanized English language is improving or deteriorating. Generally I think it's the latter--especially since so few people actually pronounce deteriorating correctly (just listen).

Lots of kids make a common, but very logical, language mistake. If they don't do something 'on purpose,' then it must have been done 'on accident.' It is not correct, but it makes sense. It reminds me of a quote I used to have on a chart: If English were sensible, lackadaisical would have something to do with a shortage of flowers.

Language does adjust and change as people use it. Nauseous is officially defined as "offensive to the taste or smell, disgusting, repellent." Yet I hear people all the time using it to describe themselves, "I was nauseous all day," or "the whatever made me nauseous." I'm certain they weren't saying that they were disgusting and offensive, causing others to be affected with nausea.

The adjective they should have used is nauseated, but that is an extra couple of syllables, or it sounds less cool--I don't know.

However, if enough people used a word incorrectly, it becomes okay. My dictionary says, "Today, however, the use of nauseous to mean 'affected with nausea' is so common that it is generally considered to be standard." I'm probably going to be out of step for a while longer.

One last thing I've noticed is some people have an itch and itch it. When I have an itch, I scratch it. Has anyone else heard someone say they are itching a bug bite? Is it a local thing? My hubby claims not to have heard it used that way, but he's not the world's best listener.

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

I've heard itch used that way and I agree our language is deteriorated and becoming nauseous! lol

Kay said...

I am nauseated to think I've used that word incorrectly. Ooops!

Jean said...

Yes, I've heard "itch" used in place of "scratch." What really bugs me, though, is the use of "bring" when "take" is actually meant. "Bring this to your brother," she told her daughter. No, it's TAKE, TAKE, TAKE! I think "dyslectic" is the actual correct term for the condition of dyslexia, but today "dyslexic" is more commonly used.

dellgirl said...

Great post. I also think the language is deteriorating and often cringe when particular words are used incorrectly. I love the way you wrote this.

Have a terrific week.

Mare said...

I can't believe that I didn't leave a response the first time I read this. You are preaching to the choir!! The 'itch/scratch thing makes me crazy. We are kindred spirits on this one, and you will see some posts from me about how the language gets chopped and diced daily.

Teacher Mama said...

I got your comment on my blog. Thanks. My friends with young children call and ask me questions frequently about how to prepare them for school. Your daughter in law probably has good intentions, but doesn't know what to work on with her little ones. I hope the list helps. I will probably post a few more details soon. Logan has also been "writing books" about little activities throughout the day. He tells me the words, draws the pictures, and I write the text. He has a whole stack of little books that we have written together. He is thrilled that he can "read" all of them.