Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Products I've doomed

I've doomed quite a number of products, simply by liking them. It's just a sad fact that I am now resigned to accept. If companies knew that when I buy something repeatedly, they are in trouble, it would probably be worthwhile to keep things away from me. A few years ago, hubby and I actually made a list of things we have liked that disappeared from the shelves. I don't remember all the things on our list then, but it is still growing.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love potato chips of all kinds. Years ago we unintentionally encouraged the demise of Eagle Potato Chips, but more recently I'm responsible for the loss of Lay's Dill Pickle flavor. They were soooo yummy and I miss them.

Costco has been recipient of my jinx with a number of products: Kirkland Roast Beef in a can (wonderful for sandwiches), dried peaches and dried strawberries (don't remember the brand names but they were so good), and fresh bran muffins.

I am amazed that I can still buy TAB (the first diet cola), but maybe it is safe because I drink it less now that they have started to add Aspartame to its formula. Coca Cola got lucky--or smart.

Mom and I were talking about this yesterday and she mentioned a number of products she has loved that have not disappeared, but have changed until they are mere shadows of their former selves. A post for another day.



8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

interesting. it's like restaurants or stores that you like and then they are suddenly gone. guess it's called CHANGE!

Rose said...

Hi Jo,
Long time no hear. I have not only changed the home of my blog, but I've also had a career change. Lucky for me, I was able to find work, especially these days. In case you are still interested, here is where you can find me.

http://curiousgypsy.wordpress.com/

take care and keep in touch....
Rose

Sharon said...

It is very disconcerting to get used to buying something at the store then one day you go in and it's not there. You go next week and it's still not there. Only after awhile can you convince yourself that it is gone. For good. :(

Janie B said...

That usually happens to me with TV shows. If I like them, they are often cancelled.

Mare said...

You are not a jinx. I will say that it has happened my way a couple of times. There are so many new products on the shelves every day. The stores will be running out of shelf space!

Linda Reeder said...

I dread the words "new and improved". It means a product I liked is now doomed.

Smittie said...

Unfortunately, I share the same knack! Of recent note, a face cream (Neutrogena Healthy Skin Night) I've used for more than 10 years is nearly impossible to fins and a lipstick I've used for longer is being discontinued (Perspectives brand). I should make a list... It seems like things of quality go unnoticed by the mainstream population so get discontinued, much to the dismay of those who notice and appreciate it! :(

Kay said...

This is really an interesting post, Jo. I'm trying to think of products I might have jinxed too. Clausen's bread and butter pickles comes to mind. How about Look candy bars?