Monday, April 20, 2009

More inadequate appreciation of Mom

Here are more photos of the dresses I know were made by my mother.  At the time, I just accepted that she would put together something for me.  I suppose, as an ordinary, self-absorbed teenager, the fact that she was darn good at it flew right by me....whoosh.

The young man with me was a classmate and also part of the cast of Showboat.  The white dress was fabulous.

I decided to put a couple more dress pictures in, even though my eyes seem to be closed in the pictures.  Appreciate the dresses, not me.  This one had a collar of sequins.  I have again cropped out my date--not because he wasn't a nice guy, but my romantic history is not the point here.
Mom must have made this suit too, probably just to wear with the boots.  I sang "These Boots are Made for Walking" at some event.  I know I'd ham it up a lot more now than I did then.  Oh the confidence and wisdom of age--if we could have that and the youth and beauty at the same time.  Watch out.
This dress is another one I remember.  It was a pretty brocade with fake fur on the sleeves.
I really liked this dress because there are at least two pictures of me wearing it.  This was after our wedding and the birth of our son, so it must have been for a sibling's  special prom or something.  Oh my gosh, we are so young and skinny!

Is everyone tired of my memory lane yet?  I haven't found too many more pictures among grandma's slides showing more cool clothes, but I know there is a killer red dress somewhere.  Maybe I'm almost finished.

12 comments:

Jo said...

That first white dress is killer beautiful. At first glance I thought you had a wedding dress on.

Smittie said...

Beautiful - Both the dresses and you! Thanks for sharing them and giving us a glimpse into a time before we many of us knew you. Fun stuff.

Great Grandma Lin said...

I'm enjoying the style show and especially the delayed appreciation of your mom. I hope our kids do that for us too.

Mare said...

I'm liking the sewing photos. Being a sewing failure, I think I appreciate your mom's creations more than most people.

Teacher Mama said...

Whoa! I am loving these pics! I do remember requesting pics of you for your retirement dinner, and I'm wondering why none of these were produced.

Kay said...

Wow! Your mom was an excellent seamstress! I am mighty impressed. I could have used her expertise today when I was trying to sew a pair of pants for my mom. You are one gorgeous lady, no matter what you're wearing.

Jean said...

I loved traveling down your memory lane! What beautiful dresses/suits your mother made for you. I bet you were one of the best dressed, if not THE best dressed, girls in your school.

Ms Opinionated said...

boy, you almost had me in tears. Like your mom, my parents were in the dressing making business. I too, took it for granted. Didn't once pick up on the craft. What a shame. Lucky I saved all my outfits though. You look beautiful in each pic....your mom had an amazing talent.

God bless!

Kahshe Cottager said...

What a talent your Mom had for making beautiful dresses. Of course, there was an equally beautiful model showing them off! I can sew, but I can't tailor so I would never be able to make anything like these!

Joyce's Journey said...

The dresses your mom made are gorgeous!!! What talent! You look so adorable in those pictures!!! I love looking at pictures like this.

Sharon said...

Not tired yet! Your mom WAS a great dress maker. You were looking good!

Thanks for playing Teaser Tuesday. I like James Rollins books! Good teaser - now I'll have to read this one to see what happens to Safia!

I've been looking at the Kindle. How do you like yours? Love it?

Barbara Ehrentreu said...

I love those dresses. My mother used to make my clothes too and I never appreciated it. But your mother was a real designer. Did she ever do this professionally? Or did she do it only for her family?

I was also a teacher and now retired too! But I'm still working. Loved seeing all of the memory lane stuff especially you with the soda cans on your head. I used to use giant rollers similar to those. Why did we want to straighten our hair anyway?:)