Friday, March 20, 2009

Silver linings around black clouds

It is too bad, but nothing seems to bring families together like a funeral.  Weddings are in second place, but don't have the same power to bring people home.

Yesterday was the funeral for my mother's older sister.  This lovely, very intelligent, talented lady had suffered for a number of years and knew she was not ever going to regain good health.  That did not make her passing much easier for those who cared about her except for their belief that she was happy and with her husband, who had died a number of years ago.

The silver lining was the chance to see family members I hadn't seen for many years.   We talked about how it was too bad that it took a death to get people in the same place, but we also laughed and shared and remembered.  Everyone promised to stay in touch.  I hope we will before anyone else we care about passes away.

9 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

interesting about funerals...my two sons who live out of utah haven't been here since my mom's funeral over two years ago. I told them I'd like to see them more often-one is coming next week and the other said I like funerals...so guess we'll have to go visit him.
KIDS!

Kay said...

It's so true about funerals, Jo. Since we've returned to Hawaii we've made a dedicated effort to get friends and relatives together so that we don't have regrets about not having gotten together to see and be with each other when we were all alive. I'm actually dreading the next funeral.

Kahshe Cottager said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have been to too many funerals in the last couple of years as the older members of our family have passed away - 8 in one year. I hope there aren't any in my future for a while.

Anonymous said...

Jo..I am sorry to hear of your Aunt's passing..but it is so true of funerals...

Sharon said...

What you say is so true, Jo. I'm sorry to read here about your aunt.


You're right about Arctic Drift being heavy on the doom and gloom. :) Had to love the action/adventure with the good guys coming out on top!
Sharon

wispy willow said...

Funerals... They really do weave us closer to one another. Perhaps it's that realization of how vulnerable we all are. The funerals in our family have all too often been for the younger generation...

This was touching... thanks for sharing it with us.

storyteller said...

I'm saddened to learn of your loss yet what you write about funerals is true of my experience as well ...
Your title is perfect.
Hugs and blessings,

Ms Opinionated said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my mom 5yrs ago and can remember hearing the same thing. We all made promises that for some reason, were not kept. It is a shame that we have to give thought to missing someone at a funeral.

I hope your family makes an effort...

Mare said...

Sorry to hear about your aunt's passing. It is very true that it is one of the two times you see relatives.