Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Awareness or Observance?

As I reread my last post, and the comments, I decided that awareness and observation were not exactly synonymous.  In fact, in my computer's thesaurus, they are not listed that way.

I think all successful teachers have to have a high level of awareness about what is happening in their classrooms.  In fact I remember a "busy" third grader asking me--with real sincerity--if I had eyes in the back of my head.  

Observation, at least to my mind, is different.  While I knew what the students were doing and where the trouble spots were likely to be, I'm not certain I could have accurately described their facial features to a sketch artist.   I mean, I noticed new haircuts or stylish new outfits, or glasses traded for contacts.  Unless they said something, I may not have noticed when someone got braces or got theirs taken off (6th grade is full of metal and I never had fewer than 26 students),  but I do not remember paying attention to the the shape of their eyes or lengths of earlobes.  To sit down and accurately describe the distance between eyes, eyebrow shapes, or length of a nose....I don't know.  Round face, thin face, tall, short, skinny, stocky, dark, fair--that's about the extent of my physical observation skills.

But, maybe I was looking beyond what they "looked like" to what they might be thinking and doing.   While I couldn't have given a good sketch artist what he needed, I could have accurately described the students' reading, writing, and math skills.  I could have described  their interests, habits, and attitudes about school.  Perhaps I was simply aware of the things that mattered most to me.  

 To my thinking, observation is surface information.  Awareness is  more of an understanding.  I doubt that's what dictionaries would say, and that still doesn't explain why so many people miss the gorilla.  



5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

it's interesting to go to the grocery store or walmart and observe people not being aware of other people or watch shoppers in a mall. it intrigues me.

Jo said...

I'm like you - - if the bank robber comes in without a mask, there'd better be someone else there taking a look at his face to describe it to the sketch artist.

As I read your post, I thought about the students in my class and wondered how well I could describe their facial features. I think I could tell you who all has braces because they're always missing a morning or afternoon here and there for appointments. However, describing their faces . . . I don't think I could either. I started by trying to remember what color of eyes they had and could only make guesses.

However, I can tell you how well they all read and if math is a struggle for them.

I know who's going to finish the assigment, who's going to need my help and who's not going to do squat unless I get involved. I guess as a teacher that's probably more important than remembering the color of their eyes.

Kay said...

Thanks, Jo. This post makes me feel better.

dellgirl said...

Great post, Jo. I always knew I was not as observant as I should be. When I catch myself doing that, I make a mental note (to myself), "I have GOT to be more observant." That helps for a little while.

Mare said...

This post makes sense to me. I am an observant person, but I could be better. I hate roadmaps. Better for me are the physical landmarks to look for and I'm all set.