Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Confused cook

I found a recipe in a magazine that seemed to be something I could make and might like--fewer than 20 ingredients, no unusual herbs or exotic spices, simple instructions. My only change was making it about half as much as the recipe called for. If I had made the whole thing, I could have fed a big crowd. As it is, I'll have plenty of leftovers to freeze.


The illustration looked tasty, so I gave it a shot.


Surprise, mine didn't look anything like the picture.  I take that back, I could see the spinach and the chorizo.  I can't figure out where the yellow color came from.  Was there some saffron that wasn't mentioned? Some ingredient that was left off the recipe?

It could have been a difference in lentils, but since it called for red ones, mine looks more like I thought it would.  By the way, mine was pretty tasty, but no one would think it was the same dish.  

8 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

cooking and recipes are a real art form. i'm taking a diabetic cooking class right now through USU extension and getting lots of good ideas on new foods. your soup looks good. you'll have to give us the recipe.

Amanda said...

By squinting at the recipe that looks like something I could eat too. The recipe photograph looks as though they might have put some milk in it to get that creamy pale look - they do all sorts of strange things to food to photograph it well. Yours looks very tasty though.

Teacher Mama said...

That looks tasty. You probably improved on the original

wispy willow said...

My mom was not a fancy cook. Her food was almost always really tasty, but not quite as pretty as she wanted it to be... When she'd try out a new recipe, I'd comment on how it didn't look like the picture in the book. She'd invariably reply, "I didn't make it to look at." True enough.

Yours doesn't look like the picture but it still looks mighty tempting!

Caid and Alicia Evans said...

At least you tried right!?! Mine NEVER look anything like the picture either.. maybe they photoshop the pic before printing!?!?

Mare said...

I love soup. I'm not into much cooking these days,though.
The models' photos on the covers of magazines never look the same as the real life ones, either!!

storyteller said...

How interesting. I've long since stopped trying recipes from magazines, but your results look tasty to me ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

That looks really good and there is nothing like soup on a winter day even thought it doesn't get as cold where you live...