Saturday, August 6, 2011

The way it should be

I just attended a niece's wedding reception. She was beautiful, the weather was lovely, the groom was handsome, the parents were proud, and friends and family were everywhere. I have no doubt that this marriage will be successful; they did everything right. They have known each other for years, they are best friends, their families know and like each other, and they made a very serious faith-based commitment to each other.

As odd as it is nowadays, they fell in love without falling into bed. They did things in the order than was expected of young people 50 years ago. It seems pretty rare today, and I have to say it does irritate me to get a wedding reception invitation for a couple who has been living together for several years or already has a child together. If you are going to do things that way, don't expect a new toaster from me, that just seems greedy.

Most of my family members are still married to their original spouses, but there are several who have been through divorces or had children without being married. Sometimes it takes a mistake or two before you get it right, but it is sure harder that way.

Congratulations to this new couple, and best wishes for a long and happy life together.

5 comments:

Joyce's Journey said...

I so agree with you, but it sure is hard to come by. I know a young lady that bought a house and lived with her boyfriend for a year before they had a destination wedding. They came home to a house already set up. Where is the newness, the excitement about living together as husband and wife? This photo is beautiful. I am sure they will have a very happy life together.

Great Grandma Lin said...

I too agree with you. Although sometimes with all the proper steps, a marriage still ends in divorce. They are a lovely couple.

Mare said...

There are no rules or set of steps in society for many people and it is getting worse. I used to say in the last 10 years of teaching that the kids were getting stupider and stupider! [I know that is not correct grammar!!]
I just caught up on all that I hadn't read and I smile when I read your thoughts about the ways that language has been altered. My two cents would be that no one knows how to use pronouns correctly!!

Kay said...

Wow! That is surprising. It seems that the order of things have really changed these days. It's terrific that there are still couples taking the time to do it the "old fashioned" way. I'm all for it! It certainly looks like it was a gorgeous wedding.

Teacher Mama said...

That is a happy story. I saw this video this week about young people from different faiths who choose to be sexually pure prior to marriage. It reminded me of your post: http://www.youtube.com/mormonmessagesyouth#p/c/6C2E726B40648A1B/0/2xE-iK1pdp0