Monday, August 29, 2011

Really good bread

I've been thinking about bread. No, not the money, the food. In my quest to stay healthy, I'm trying to eat fewer added chemicals. What has surprised me is the stuff that is in some bread.






I took these pictures today at the grocery store. The loaves carried labels trying to appeal to people who want healthy complex carbohydrates. They were some of the most expensive on the shelves; the cheap white bread has a much longer list of ingredients with lots of words I probably can't pronounce. I don't eat a lot of bread, but when I have a piece of toast I'm picky.

I could do a commercial for Prairie Grain bread. The company is in Salt Lake City and they make several varieties that I love. Look at the ingredient list on one of my favorites.
Isn't that simple? I even understand what everything is. Besides, it's delicious--heavy, moist, with a little crunch, and not too sweet. Now the problem. I can't buy any here. I've only found it in the Salt Lake City area. So, when I go I stock up and freeze it. If I run out, I'll have to calculate the cost of driving the 300 mile round trip to buy a dozen loaves versus paying the shipping to buy it online in smaller batches. Of course I'll have to factor in the other things I could do while I'm in the city. But I've got enough for a while.

Read the label on your favorite bread. It could be enlightening.

1 comment:

Great Grandma Lin said...

You haven't discovered the Bosch store in St. George on Bluff Street next to Ace Hardware near St. George Blvd. They have whole wheat bread in many varieties and all for under $2. I buy several loafs and freeze it. Right now I'm in Iceland and talk about good bread...yum!