Saturday, January 8, 2011

Favorite book?


I've been asked a few times--recently too--what was my favorite book. I've found it impossible to answer. I can't think of a book that I loved more than any other. I can give a list of authors whose novels I have consistently enjoyed, but books? Impossible.

I was working on a list of possible books for my 9-year-old granddaughter who just got a Kindle for Christmas. It was fun to remember some of the good books for her age, but I realized that I'm out of the loop now. I used to read lots of the new books written for kids so I would know what was available and what my students were reading. I hate to recommend books I haven't read because sometimes books are published for young readers that I think are awful. Anyone have any new, wonderful books for young girls?

6 comments:

Kay said...

I've got the same problem right now. I'm supposed to be the Read-Aloud person for a class in a couple of weeks and I can't decide on which book to read and what I can teach with it. I'm going to have to really sleep on this.

Great Grandma Lin said...

no help here either...sorry!

Sharon said...

Here is one suggestion: The Underneath by Kathi Applet.
More:
*Because of Winn Dixie
*Holes
*The American Girls series

Hope you find some books you like!

Teacher Mama said...

Hmmm. What is her reading level? I hear the Percy Jackson series is very good, my nieces and nephews love it. Sounds silly, but I loved Babysitter Club at that age. She might like that too. Roald Dahl (sp?) is also wonderful.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Sharon, thank you. I'd forgotten Because of Winn Dixie, but I haven't read Underneath. I'll check it out.

Lisa, thanks to you too. She just finished the Percy Jackson series and was reading Rick Riordan's newest at Christmas. She might like the Babysitter's Club books. I'll add those to my list for her.

Joyce's Journey said...

When I was a little girl, though I don't remember how old I was, my two favorite books were, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter". I was probably older than nine, but regardless, they were more mature than I was when I read them. I had to reread them recently because I wanted to see what made such a major impact on me so many years ago. It was enlightening.