Saturday, August 29, 2009

USPS troubles

I've been alive quite a while, and for most of that time the U.S. post office was the way to communicate with those far way. I've used the mail to pay bills, send gifts and cards, and correspond with friends and relatives in far-flung places. For the most part, it worked. It was a little slow, but seemed dependable and efficient. Sometimes people would blame the post office if something didn't show up when it was expected. I assumed that the post office was just being used as a scape goat, when someone didn't plan ahead far enough to ensure timely arrival.

My first problem was maybe two years ago. I use my bank's online bill paying services for most of our routine expenses. But, my local utility is small and not set up for electronic payments. So, the online service contracts with a company out of state that would withdraw the money from my account and send a check. Then one month, the utility bill showed that the previous month's payment was not received. I had no idea because the money had been taken from my bank account. When I investigated, the post office was blamed (lost in the mail). I have no idea who really dropped the ball, but I paid for both months. By the next month, the check had shown up. After that, I mailed my own check. At least I could tell whether or not it had been received and deposited.

In late January I sent a Priority envelope with a cashier's check in it. It vanished! It didn't get where it was going, didn't come back to me, no one knows what happened.

In June I sent a birthday gift to a friend in Texas. I didn't hear from her, which was highly unusual. When we corresponded later--by e-mail--she told me she had sent a thank you card. I've never gotten one. Maybe it's with my priority envelope.

Now this came in my mail.

It was less than half of what was sent, but luckily our names and address were on one of the remaining pieces. This is what was printed on the other side of the plastic bag.

I had to laugh. I thought the postal service was struggling because of a declining volume of mail. I've contributed to the decline, but this year has not made me more confident. I use UPS more because they can actually track packages. Yes, it is more expensive, but I haven't had anything disappear or arrive as pieces in plastic.

8 comments:

Jean said...

It sounds like there must be gremlins at work, either in your post office, or in the mail distribution center, or at the receiving end. I received a badly damaged letter, wrapped in plastic with the same note you got, once, and couldn't believe what the letter must've endured before finally reaching me. While in China a few years ago, I mailed several post cards home. They finally arrived here in the US 1 1/2 years later!

Janie B said...

I've gotten things in plastic apology bags before, too. How disturbing and not very trust inspiring!

Kay said...

Funny isn't it? There was a time I totally trusted the USPS but I'm a bit more cautious now.

Teacher Mama said...

I've had trouble with the forwarding service lately. Weeks and weeks have sometimes passed before expected mail has arrived.

We are UPSers too. (Do you like my made up word?)

Mare said...

And yet the rates keep going up, up, up! I have also received an apology accompanied returned item. I am leaning toward UPS also. And there are never big lines at UPS.

Great Grandma Lin said...

hey my son works for ups so he'd be happy to hear this! i agree it seems like mail takes longer these days with usps.

storyteller said...

Oh ... this reminds me of a Thanks You Gift of a coffee cup from the World Wildlife Fund arrived in pieces in a similar package a while back. It makes one think twice about using the USPS doesn't it?
Hugs and blessings,

wispy willow said...

lol I'm completely with ya on this one!!

I sent an article of mail through our illustrious postal services on the afternoon of August 27th... It hadn't as yet reached it's destination on September 6th. Wha??? Did they ship it via turtle? It was within the states for crying out loud. I didn't send it to Tasmania. (which,in my ever so humble opinion, still should have been received within a nine day period).

And our names can be added to the looooong list of individuals who have opened their mailbox to find a plastic bag with a letter that closely resembled a mass of lost puzzle pieces.

My son in Korea has sent several packages from Korea, China, and Japan. We've received only one of them and articles were missing from that badly destroyed package.

As badly as we need health reform...and as much as I'm in agreement with those that want it... I have to give some serious thought to turning too much of it over to the government.