Friday, May 10, 2013

Leaving a mark

Went to the cemetery with my mother to fix an arrangement on my Dad's grave.  Close by was a lady putting flowers on the grave of a son who died many years ago, but far too young.  It would have been his birthday.   She was accompanied and assisted by a granddaughter.  This granddaughter was a little embarrassed by her just-washed hair and lack of makeup because she was once one of my students.

We visited a while, and she told me I was her favorite teacher. Not only was that incredibly sweet of her to say, but it really makes me think.  How many small things do we do that leave impressions--good and bad--on others?  She was in my class at least 25 years ago, and in my memory she was a gentle, obedient, good-natured girl.  What did I do to deserve that place in her memory?

It reminds me to be conscious of the daily, seemingly small interactions we have with others.  How are those remembered?  I'm sure sometimes we fade into vague recollections, and I often speak without enough thinking.  That kind young woman reminded me that if I leave a mark as I pass by, I'd like it to be a good grade.

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

great thought to reflect upon especially at mother's day time...

Teacher Mama said...

I'm sure you were lots of student's favorites. You were certainly one of mine. You taught me the endocrine and reproductive systems with such ease... lol! :)

Good post.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I loved those science units too. Sixth graders were never so quiet.

Kay said...

You are so right, Jo. I hope my students will remember me kindly too. I agree that we need to always be conscious that how we treat others will affect their day and happiness. It's a responsibility to carry carefully.

dellgirl said...

I agree, Jo. Like Kay, I hope my students will remember me kindly too. Stopping by to say hello! I hope you are doing okay. Have a good weekend!

Smittie said...

I loved this post! You were one of my favorite teachers, too - And not in the colleague sense, but in the way of mentoring. I learned so much from you! Love you, Jo!