Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Our crazy language

It's funny how language works.  Enough people say something that is grammatically incorrect, and eventually it becomes widely used and accepted.  Take, for instance, the past tense of sneak.  It should be sneaked (I sneaked an extra piece of cake), but people said snuck so much that it is in the dictionary now as an informal past tense.

I wonder why the past tense of peak (or peek) didn't become puck, or speak didn't turn into spuck.  Even sneeze could have been, "Yesterday I snuzz several times."

See, it doesn't really make sense why some words get changed and others don't,

While I'm writing about words, there are some expressions that have become so common that they are beginning to annoy me.  There is nothing really grammatically wrong, but they are used so much that it seems no one is willing to stretch verbal skills far enough to think of another way to say what they want to say.  Listen to how many times you hear (particularly on television) someone avoid answering a question because "it's complicated."  How often do designers of decor or fashion like the way a color or accessory makes something "pop."  Everyone seems to want to take relationships, experiences, or activities "to the next level."  If I notice others, I'll come back and add them.

Meanwhile, since I snuck an extra candy I'll try to take my exercise to the next level.  Afterwards I'll wear my red scarf so my outfit will have that pop of color.  I'd explain more, but it's complicated.

5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

you should have been an English teacher...lol!

Kay said...

This was such a fun post, Jo. I confess. I have used "snuck" quite often.

Teacher Mama said...

Ha ha! It must be tough to be so observant and smart, JoAnne. It must come with almost constant irritation at the rest of us. :) I hope you are enjoying your fall. Plan a trip to the Balloon Festival next year, and take your grandchildren. They'll love it.

wispy willow said...

Omaheck! I hope I get my life back soon so I can start reading some of the blogs that I used to enjoy so darn much...like yours.
I'm always a little nervous that I'm going to say something that sounds completely illiterate, but I'm just too tired and old to be ashamed enough over my lack of gramatical expertise to let that stop me from reading and commenting on your posts. I just love em!

Steve said...

English is pretty much German that evoloved in isolation into a mutually incomprehensible language.

However some of the German grammatic patterns remain, & some don't.

This remnant germanic verb form pattern is why some informal development of verbs is "odd" & why some are more "English" but seem somehow a little "funny".

Sneak-Snuck.
Sneak-Sneaked.
Swim-Swam.
Swim-Swimmed.
Teach-Taught.
Teach-Teached.
Lead-Led.
Lead-Leaded.
Walk-Wulk.
Walk-Walked.
Shoot-Shot.
Shoot-Shooted.
Speak-Spoke.
Speak-Speaked.
Help-Hulp.
Help-Helped.