Thursday, July 12, 2012

I heard another good redundancy today.  A television news anchor was talking about a free concert series and mentioned that liquid beverages would not be permitted.  Here I thought all beverages were liquid.  So could someone take in a Coke popsicle?

I've also heard some new words: suicidality (the likelihood of someone committing suicide?); and how about a skin care product that will redensify your skin?

Then there is the continuing verbing of nouns (like I just did).  Stories are trending, we text, Google, fuel our cars, video events, and bookmark our favorites.  There are more, but I'll end with this appropriate comic.

5 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

that's funny...

Kay said...

This really is too funny. Language is constantly evolving. My mother complains about Japanese all the time. She says the young are ruining the language.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Kay, that made me smile. I had no idea it was happening in Japan too, but I guess it makes sense. I feel your Mom's frustration.

dellgirl said...

I totally agree with you, I wonder if anyone at the station caught the 'liquid beverages not being permitted'redundancy. Probably too busy to notice.

Jean said...

''Growing" the economy is putting me over the edge!